Lots of advice comes in while it comes to a strong and healthy hair. Whether to try expensive hair products or go with the natural solutions, at times, it often gets confusing. There are several factors involved in causing hair problems, those range from genetics, diet, weather, pollution, water, type of products and your approach to hair care. The reality is healthy scalp is the foundation for a good hair growth, for which certain recommended steps are provided.
Let’s look at some easy tips to help you get a shiny, lustrous and a healthy hair.
- Hygiene: Exposure to dirt and polluted environment may result in your hair problems. Regular wash in a span of 2-3 days is therefore important to get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp. Rinse thoroughly and avoid hot water as it causes dryness and brittleness of hair and strips protective oil. Focus on scalp cleaning with shampoo instead of ends since it’s the roots that are often oily.
- Comb and Trim: proper comb is required as hairs are prone to fragility and breakage in case of hard application. Try a broad toothed comb and apply gently. It is to be noted that losing 100-150 strands a day is normal. Also, trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to get rid of those rough split ends.
- Diet: Nutritional deficiencies are linked to hair loss. So make sure your intake include proteins, zinc, iron, vitamin A, B, C, D, E. Some of the good sources cover eggs, fish, yogurt, fruits, vegetables, salads, spinach, avocados, aloevera juice. You may try supplements in case you find challenge with getting enough of proteins and vitamins from food. Not to forget, water intake should be adequate as well.
- Brush and Dry: Wet hair is more likely to break as it’s much weaker. Dry your hair with a towel and then use comb to detangle. Don’t use artificial hair dryers or rollers, instead let it get dried with natural air. Use dryer only when essential and set a warm condition instead of a hot one.
- Oil: Just as machine requires oil, our hair also requires it. A conditioner might work well, but it’s oil that provides certain essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids and helps rejuvenate scalpthereby strengthening your hair roots. Pure coconut oil as recommended by experts provide protection from sun, dandruff and removes sebum build from follicles. Combining olive oil with other ingredients may help in case you face hair fall problems.
- Conditioning: Use branded shampoo to wash your hair at least once or twice a week and make use of conditioner preferably from same brand and apply to get into the roots. Use broad toothed comb to help the spread and allow at least 10 minutes before you rinse the hair thoroughly. With this, you would find a smooth and silky hair.
- Hard water: Hard water contains carbonates and sulfates both of which result in a hair damage, making your hair dry and fizzy. It also extracts the shine from hair making it look dull and rough. Use a filtered water and preferably the one you use for drinking purpose.
- Stress and Exercise: Hair experts had confirmed stress to be one of the reasons for hair fall. The best way to manage this is with exercise, meditation and yoga. Lots of asanas like Vajrasana, Sasangasana, Apanasana, Uttanpadasana, Ustrasanastimulate blood and oxygen circulation in the scalp, providing a long and shiny hair growth.
- Hair mask: one of the recommended ayurvedic therapies to cure multiple hair problems. You can create mask naturally using egg, honey, aloe vera or by using herbal powders. It helps detoxification of roots providing essential minerals and nutrients. Use hydrating hair mask in a span of 1-2 weeks for better results.
- Night care: Rub a bit of oil on hair ends for enough moisturization. Use silk or satin pillowcase or wrap a silk scarf around your hair. Instead of ponytails and buns, tie your hair loosely with soft elastic or bandana to protect hair strands and avoid breakage of hair while sleeping. A quick scalp message would be relaxing before you jump to bed. Lastly, make sure you don’t sleep with a wet hair.
Hair care is as important as a skin. It improves your personality and style offering the flexibility to have different stylish looks. Taking that extra care would boost your confidence. Eat well, sleep well, follow the expert recommendations in order to have a long lasting smooth, shiny and healthy hair.